Beautiful Greek Names for Your Baby with Their Meaning
Having a baby might be one of the most precious moments in your life as a parent. As a parent and as a mother, you definitely want to name your baby with beautiful name. There are so many words that have beautiful meaning that you can choose as the name for your baby. These words might come from various languages as well.
One of the most popular languages in the world is Greek. There are many words in Greek that have beautiful meaning. You can choose these words as the name for your baby. However, before you decide to use Greek names for your baby, you might need to learn about the meaning of the names so that you can choose the perfect name for your baby.
Greek is also known for its mythology as well. There are so many legends that came from Greek which involve Gods and mythology creature. Greek is also known for its philosophy as well. There are many famous philosophers that came from Greek. Some people might name their baby using the name of Greek Gods while some others might choose to name their baby using the name of Greek philosophers or other famous person from Greek.
Of course you can name your baby using the name of Greek Gods or Greek philosophers. But if you’re looking for something different and unique, there are still many Greek words that you can use as the name of your baby. You can search Greek names easily on the internet these days. If you don’t have much time to look on the internet, below are several great Greek words that might be suitable for your baby’s name along with their meanings.
Greek Names for Baby Boy and Their Meaning
- Achilles. Achilles means “Warrior”. Achilles is the name of Greek hero in an epic story that is written by Homer. Since the character Achilles is portrayed as a hero and a warrior, it’s taken as the meaning of this word.
- Aegeus. Aegeus means “Protector”. Aegeus is a mythological figure from ancient Greek. He is known for his contribution in the founding of Athens. Aegeus is also the name of Zeus’ shield as well. This is the origin of the meaning of this word.
- Agamemnon. Agamemnon means “Resolute and Inflexible”. Agamemnon is the name of a man in Greek mythology who was the leader of Greek force.
- Alastair means “Defender of the People”. This name signifies the power or protection. This name was also given to one of the most powerful kings in the world, Alexander the Great.
- Cyrus. Cyrus means “Far Sighted”. This name is one of the most popular names that came from Greek language.
- Erasmus. Erasmus means “Dearest”. This name came both from ancient Greek and the Bible. Erasmus is the name of Christian saint who live in 4th century.
- Gene. Gene means “of Noble Descent”. This name came from old Greek word “Eugene” which is the combination of two elements, “Eu” which means “Good” and “Genos” which means “Birth”.
- Jerome. Jerome means “Holy Name”. Jerome came from ancient Greek word “Hieronymos” which is the combination of two Greek words, “Hieros” which means “Sacred” and “Onyma” which means “a Name”.
- Miklos. Miklos means “People’s Triumph”. Miklos is also one of the most popular Greek names that are used these days.
- Olek. Olek means “Defender of Man”. Olek came from ancient Greek word “Alexein” which means “to defend”. This name signifies protection or strength.
- Philomenos. Philomenos means “Good Friend”. Philomenos came from ancient Greek words, “Philein” which means “to love” and “Menos” which means “strength”.
- Tapani. Tapani means “Man with Crown”. This name was given to Saint Stephen and it’s also considered as one of the most popular Greek names these days.
Greek Names for Baby Girl and Their Meaning
- Agata. Agata means “Good-hearted”. This name came from ancient Greek word “Agatha” means “Good-hearted”. It’s also the name of Christian martyr from 3rd century, Saint Agatha of Sicily.
- Agnes. Agnes means “Sacred”. This name came from ancient Greek word. This name is also used by Saint Agnes of Rome as well. Agnes is considered as one of the most popular feminine names that came from Greek.
- Alethea. Alethea means “Truthful”. This name came from ancient Greek word. It’s considered as popular Greek name for girls since 17th century.
- Ariana. Ariana means “the Holiest One”. This name came from ancient Greek word “Ariadne” which means “the Holiest One”. Ariadne is also a famous character in Greek mythology as well. She helped Theseus defeated Minotaur. Ariadne is also the bride of the God of Wine, Dionysus.
- Calanthe. Calanthe means “Pretty Flower”. This name came from ancient Greek word. It’s also the name of terrestrial orchid’s genus as well.
- Diantha. Diantha means “Divine Flower”. This name also came from ancient Greek word and it’s also used as the name of flowering plant’s genus as well.
- Elina. Elina means “Torch of Light”. This name came from Greek word “Helen” which means “Torch of Light”. Helen was a very famous figure in Greek Mythology. She was also known as Helen of Troy. Helen was the daughter of Zeus and she was described as a very beautiful woman.
- Hera. Hera means “Heroine”. Hera was also a famous character in Greek mythology. She was the wife of Zeus and the Goddess of Women and Marriage.
- Iris. Iris means “Colors of Rainbow”. This is one of the most popular Greek names for girls. Iris is one of the famous figures in Greek mythology. She was the Goddess of Rainbow. Iris was also the messenger of all gods as well.
- Leandra. Leandra means “Lion Woman”. This name came from ancient Greek word. It’s also the name of type of plant as well.
Those are the names that came from Greek words that you can choose for your baby boy or baby girl. You can choose one name and combines it with other name to create perfect name for your baby. You also can combine one of these names with other words from other language to create beautiful name for your baby as well.